- Problem #171 - Posted Saturday, May 3, 2003
- Help ! Drowning Child !
. (back to top)
- At Newport Beach, CA, the
long, straight shoreline separates
- water (blue) from the sand (tan).
Mitch, the lifeguard, is at M,
- from the water, and sees a drowning child C,
120 meters from the sand.
- The points A and B
are 280 meters apart along the shoreline. Mitch
4 m/sec but
he can swim 8 m/sec. At
what spot on the shoreline AB
- should Mitch aim in order to reach the child at C
as soon as possible?
- Compute the minimum time to the nearest
tenth of a second, compare it to the times
- for the paths: MC, MAC, MBC.
Show steps and reasoning.
- Can Mitch save the child?