- Problem #48 - Posted Saturday, June 5, 1999
- Cut The Cheese! (back to top)
- Take a big cube of cheese (12" x 12" x 12"),
and cut through it with a knife.
- Only cut through the corners and midpoints
shown, and look at the cross sections you get.
- a) What are all regular polygons you
can get, and what are their areas and perimeters?
- b) Allowing non-regular (but planar)
polygons, which has the most area, and what is its area?
- c) Which planar polygon has the most
perimeter, and what is that longest perimeter?
- d) Which polygon has the largest area-
to- perimeter ratio, and what is that ratio?